WASHINGTON, PA - Apple has released an update to iOS 6 today. This update includes fixes for seval bugs in the operating system that powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. This update can be downloaded from the device itself or from iTunes.
iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5th generation users will be prompted to first install an app which will allow them to do the updates.
The complete list of bugs fixed can be found below.
For more information on how Alternative Network Solutions can integrate moble devices into your environment contact us today.
WASHINGTON, PA - Alternative Network Solutions' Monitoring team is ready for any outages that may occur as part of Hurricane Sandy. We have verified that all of our backup devices have recent images sent to our off-site data center. In the event of any local hardware failures we will be ready to help you recover your data.
In preparation for the storm we will be notifying our key contacts at our customer's sites by 5:00am if our tools detect an outage at their site. An outage will either mean the power is out, or the Internet connection is down.
If you are in urgent need of IT support please call 724-780-3343 for the fastest response.
For more information on how Alternative Network Solutions can help monitor your company's network or provide disaster recovery and business continuity solutions, please contact us today.
WASHINGTON, PA - Today Microsoft released Windows Phone 8. This version is the latest for their smart phone operating system. Windows Phone 8 features the same tile interface found in Windows 8 and on the XBox 360. Windows Phone 8 will only be available on new phones as devices running Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 will not be able to be upgraded to this operating system.
- Revised Smart Tiles - The tiles in Windows Phone 8 can be re-sized and re-arranged to customize the view on your home screen. These tiles automatically update to show you the latest content available for that app.
- Kid's Corner - Limits the apps available to a user. When you switch to Kid's Corner there is a customized home screen that prevents people from making unapproved purchases, sending message or making phone calls.
- Rooms - Allows users to chat with, share calendars and photos with a private sub groups of your social networks such as your family, co-workers or friends.
- Data Sense - This feature is designed to help preserve data to keep users from going over their limits. Images on websites are compressed as well tasks are managed to push as much data as possible to WiFi networks. Data Sense also shows how much data each app uses. This feature requires carrier support. Verizon Wireless will be the first carrier to support this feature.
- Microsoft Wallet - Windows Phone 8 allows for NFC features and mobile payment and loyalty card systems.
- Skype Integration - Skype is fully integrated into Windows Phone 8 allowing you to call someone by either making a call or using Skype.
For more information on how Alternative Network Solutions can help integrate the latest mobile technology into your business contact us today.
The complete text of Microsoft's press release can be found below.
WASHINGTON, PA - Today Google released a updated version of Android, version 4.2, and updated version of Jelly Bean. Android is the operating system that powers many different models of cell phones and tablets as well as other devices. This new version adds many features to Jelly Bean.
- Photo Sphere Camera - Allows for capturing 360˚ panoramic photographs.
- Gesture Keyboard - Allows for typing using gestures. To type, just slide your finger from letter to letter and the keyboard will automatically predict the word you are typing as well as the next word you may use. In addition the voice dictation features have been improved and works without a data connection.
- Multiple User Profiles - Each user of a tablet now can have their own profile including settings, background and widgets.
- Video Out - When a device running Android 4.2 is connected to a display using a HDMI cable the content is automatically mirrored to the external display.
- Google Now Enhancements - Google Now now includes train schedules, package tracking numbers and movie showtimes.
- Accessibility improvements - Android 4.2 allows for easy access to screen zooming and gesture mode for visually impaired users.
For more information see http://www.android.com/whatsnew/
For more information on how you can include mobile devices to improve your company's efficiency and integrate them into your environment contact Alternative Network Solutions today.
WASHINGTON, PA - Today Microsoft released Windows 8, the next version of their flagship operating system. This version replaces Windows 7 as the default operating systems shipped on PCs. PCs running Windows 7 will still be available for the next few months.
Windows 8 is designed to provide a unification between Windows and Windows Phone. The new Modern Style interface uses live updating tiles. These tiles replace the Start Menu first intorduced in Windows 95. The Modern Style interface is designedto be easy to use with a touch screen. Computers are being designed to use both touch and keyboard/mouse inputs. In addition to the new interface Windows 8 also provides usability and security enhancements.
With the release of Windows 8, many other products have also been released specifically designed to support the new touch features. These include traditional laptops as well as tablet computers. Microsoft has also released their own tablet, the Microsoft Surface.
Windows 8 comes in four major editions:
- Windows 8 - This edition is designed for home users with the most basic features.
- Windows 8 Pro - This edition is designed for users who are in a work environment or are computer enthusiasts. This version of Windows is capable being used as a media center computer.
- Windows 8 Enterprise - This version is available only through Software Assurance and is designed to be used in large corporate setting
- Windows RT - This version is designed for lower-powered devices running Arm processors like those found in most tablets and phones. This version is only able to run applications that are specifically designed for the RT platform and that run in the Modern Style interface.
The complete text of Microsoft's press release can be found below:
For more information on how to obtain Windows 8 or if you have questions about how Windows 8 can fit into your organization please contact us.